Wednesday, January 6, 2010

WHICH PLANT WHERE......

“The yield of the system is limited by our imagination.”
Bill Mollison, founder of permaculture

I am now looking at the specific plants I want to grow in the food forest. I have already got a number of established Citrus and Mulberry trees in the area I am starting with, and have dotted some Moringa here and there between. The shade of the Moringa is very light and I needed to get them planted out from their bags before the summer had advanced too much. I have already harvested leaves to eat. They have really taken off. I think it has a lot to do with the lasagna style beds I have laid around them… greens… dry grass… manure… and then sifted topsoil. I have so many rocks in my soil that this was necessary to start with, I think. I have read that this is not needed but the difference in the plants grown in these beds in comparison to those grown in a less prepared area is almost incredible. Besides, I have a lot of use for the different rock sizes with all the pathways and building I am doing out of rock. It also allows me to assess depths for planting because some rocks are so enormous that it is best not to plant a tree over; and some rocks I like to leave uncovered to be able to access within the beds without walking over the soil.

So far in the Food forest I have Citrus, Moringa, Mulberry, Banana, Litchi, Apricot, Nectarine, Peach, Mango, Papaya, Pineapple, Almond, Raspberry, Spearmint, Sweet potato, Peanuts, Purslane, Strawberries, and Pumpkin. The Pumpkin was from seeds of a rotten Crown Prince Pumpkin that I threw out. They have taken off at a gallop. Any surplus growth will be cut back as mulch if they get too rampant; but in the meantime the half meter height under the umbrella effect of the leaves is serving a wonderful purpose for Papaya grown from seed and transplanted there - as well as off-cut from a box of Pineapples we have enjoyed; they fit so snugly under the leaves as though in a mini-greenhouse.

Until next time,

Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment